Faculty Handbook: Introduction
As Arkansas’s flagship public research university, the University of Arkansas will:
- Put students first by enhancing academic programs, creating an engaging campus life, keeping costs as low as possible and reducing obstacles to student success.
- Be transparent and accountable to the people of Arkansas in all decision-making.
- Increase overall enrollment while remaining the school of choice for the state’s most gifted students; provide a concomitant increase in faculty and staff.
- Enhance diversity by attracting more students, faculty and staff from underrepresented groups and by nurturing intercultural understanding inside and outside the classroom.
- Improve graduation rates and degree-completion times.
- Provide highly competitive compensation packages for the purpose of recruiting and retaining the very best faculty, staff and graduate students.
- Increase funding in both research awards and federal research expenditures.
- Marshal the university’s expertise, programs, faculty, staff and students to grow the state’s knowledge-based economy and to address major issues confronting Arkansas and the world.
- Provide a superior campus landscape and environment by planning for and carrying out the continuous renewal and renovation of existing facilities and the designing and building of new world-class facilities.
- Pursue a consistent and aggressive program for the maintenance and improvement of the institution’s libraries and technology resources.
- Promote environmental sustainability.
- Establish and market a quality brand reputation for the university statewide, nationally and internationally.
- Foster the arts on campus and throughout the region.
- Expand outreach through distance education and partnerships with other institutions.
- Grow public support and the endowment through enhanced relationships with constituents and sound investment strategies.