Faculty Handbook: Facilities
Keys: Authorization, Issue, Return, and Replacement
Keys for university buildings and rooms, except student housing and food service, are issued by the Key Office located within Facilities Management, with customer access through the Service Center entrance and parking located on Mitchell Street.
- Key Authorization - In order for an individual to be issued keys, the person must present to the Key
Office staff a completed Key Authorization card manually signed by the appropriate
official authorized to approve the issuance of keys for that particular area and a
University of Arkansas identification card. The Key Office maintains a signature file
of deans, directors, and department heads who control authorization of access to buildings
or parts of buildings. More than one authorization signature may be required for some
- Authorization signatures must be manual; a stamped signature will not be accepted.
- When the authorizing individual is temporarily unavailable, a letter on office letterhead designating temporary authority to another person will be accepted in the Key Office. The letter must contain beginning and ending dates, the signature of the person temporarily authorized to sign for keys, and the signature of the authorizing individual.
- If there are changes in personnel who have signature authorization for specific areas or changes in the areas, the Key Office should be notified immediately and furnished with new authorization signatures and buildings or areas. Forms to indicate changes are available in the Key Office.
- Key Issuance - The individual to be issued the key must present to the Key Office staff a completed
Key Authorization Card manually signed by the appropriate official authorized to approve
the issuance of keys for that particular area and a University of Arkansas identification
card. The individual receiving the key(s) must:
- Personally pick up the key(s);
- Present their valid University of Arkansas identification card;
- Sign the card acknowledging receipt and responsibility for the use of the key(s);
- Key(s) must be picked up within 30 days of card issuance or card becomes invalid.
Multiple keys may be issued to individuals only, not departments, with proper authorization.
- Key Return - Upon the employee’s termination or transfer, or the student’s graduation, keys must be promptly returned to the Key Office, not the employee’s department or the student’s college. Keys are issued to the person (not the function, department, or college). The key holder of record must return the keys to ensure there is no question as to what keys were originally issued and which keys are being returned. The key holder will receive a receipt acknowledging what keys were in fact returned. NOTE: keys are not transferable. Upon termination, faculty and staff final paychecks may have deductions made if all keys are not returned. A student’s transcript may be held until all keys are returned.
- Lost or Stolen Keys - If a key is lost or stolen, the appropriate dean, director or department head should
be notified immediately, as well as the University Police Department. The individual
losing the key and/or the department who authorized the issuance of the key will be
assessed a fee in accordance with the following schedule:
- $10 per individual key
- $20 per sub-master key
- $50 per master key
As in the past, the key holder or the employees’ department may be held responsible for additional expenses due to lost keys, such as theft of university property, damage to facilities, and costs to re-key facilities.
- Re-keying - All Educational and General Purpose facility re-keying due to lost keys will either be performed or authorized by Facilities Management.
- ANY DUPLICATION OF A UNIVERSITY KEY IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
If you have questions or need further information, please contact us via e-mail @ firstname.lastname@example.org or call 575-2255.