Academic Policy 1405.50
Faculty Governance Support
The University of Arkansas wishes to encourage the active involvement of faculty in the governance structure of the institution. To that end, the institution provides funds to cover workload redistribution for service to campus governance for the faculty members elected to chair the Campus Faculty and the Faculty Senate. Faculty involvement in university administration is critical to the collaborative management of the University of Arkansas. Therefore, the university provides support to both faculty members and their departments to help facilitate the faculty governance roles.
Effective July 1, 2016, the following will be the plan for support of the governance officers:
- Chair of Faculty Senate and Campus Faculty
- The home academic department from which the faculty member comes will receive $5,000 plus fringe benefits in each fall and spring semester to offset the instructional cost of buying out one course for the elected faculty member. If the faculty member does not reduce his/her teaching load during the academic year, this funding will be provided as extra compensation to the faculty member serving in the governance role.
- The department of the chair of Faculty Senate and the chair of the Campus Faculty
will receive $15,000 from the Provost’s Office during the academic year of service
as chair. The faculty member and the department chair will develop a memorandum of
understanding (MOU) on the appropriate use of those funds to support the faculty member’s
effort. The funds may be designated for use to support research, scholarship, or creative
productivity of the faculty member during or after service in campus governance. The
funds may be used to offset the service or administrative roles within the department
performed by the faculty member who has been elected to serve. If there is no offset
of the workload distribution, the funds will be provided from the department as extra
compensation to the faculty member for taking on additional duties.
- Faculty Governance Officers
- The department of the vice chair of Faculty Senate and the parliamentarian of Faculty
Senate will receive $1,000 which may be used by the faculty officer, as agreed upon
with the department chair, as either research/service support or as extra compensation.
Fringe benefits will be covered from the $1,000 total if it is used for extra compensation.
The department of the secretary of Faculty Senate who maintains the website, official
membership lists (including committee memberships), and agendas and records the minutes
of the Senate and Campus Faculty meetings will receive $3,000 which may be used by
the faculty officer, as agreed upon with the department chair, as either research/service
support or as extra compensation.
- Faculty Senate
- The Faculty Senate will receive $500 per year for incidental meeting expenses. Receipts
should be submitted to the Provost’s Office for reimbursement.
Reformatted for Web October 1, 2014