Academic Policy  1810.10

Room Function Change

Academic rooms (rooms used for classes and teaching laboratories, including auditoriums and specialized laboratories such as for computing) are shared resources.  The challenge of scheduling all needed classes each term in appropriate facilities of sufficient size is significant.  To minimize unintended consequences of changing academic rooms, a process exists whereby the impact is assessed of proposed changes to academic space that would change the size, equipment, or potential function of any classroom or laboratory or convert the space to administrative or research use.

Any college or school wishing to make changes in academic rooms or room use, such as reassigning a room to another use or renovating a room which would change its potential uses, number of seats, or number of workstations, must complete a Request to Change Academic Room Function.  This form is appended to the end of this policy along with a listing of codes needed for its completion. The completed form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office where the impact of the change will be assessed and the request and impact statement forwarded to Academic Affairs for review.  Review by Finance and Administration may be requested by Academic Affairs for changes requiring changes to the physical plant.  The Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs will review the request and impact change statement(s) and approve or deny the request.  A copy of the response will be provided to the Office of the Registrar.  For approved changes, the Office of the Registrar will record the change on the student information system.  The dean of the college or school requesting the change will implement the change and will be responsible for any associated costs involved in making the modification.

Changes planned during building renovation are subject to the provisions of this policy, although one request may be processed to cover the desired changes, so long as sufficient information is provided.

Instructions for completing the form are included on the form.  Questions should be directed to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs or the Registrar’s Office.

Reformatted for Web October 1, 2014