Academic Policy  1810.10

Room Function Change

The challenge of scheduling classes each term in appropriate facilities of sufficient size is significant. To minimize unintended consequences of changing academic space, a process exists whereby the impact is assessed of proposed changes to academic rooms (classrooms, laboratories, auditoriums, and conference rooms being used for classes) that would change the size, equipment, or potential function of the space, or that would convert the space to administrative or research use.

Any college or school wishing to make changes in academic rooms or room use, such as reassigning a room to another use or renovating a room which would change its potential uses, number of seats, or number of workstations, must complete a Request to Change Academic Room Function. The completed form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar where the impact of the change will be assessed.  The form will then be forwarded to Academic Affairs for review. The Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs will review the request and impact change statement and approve or deny the request. A copy of the response will be provided to the Office of the Registrar.

For approved changes, the Office of the Registrar will record the change in the student information system. The dean of the college or school requesting the change will implement the change and will be responsible for any associated costs involved in making the modification.

Changes planned during building renovation are subject to the provisions of this policy, although one request may be processed to cover the desired changes, as long as sufficient information is provided.

Questions should be directed to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs or the Office of the Registrar.

Reformatted for Web October 1, 2014